Making A Baby Sleep Soundly And Getting Back Your Sleep At Night
(For your own convenience, there are affiliate links below at no extra cost to you)
Waking up in the middle of the night to pacify a wailing baby is one of the many nightmares of new parents. Things become worse if even after whatever you do, the baby just cries louder and wakes up the entire neighborhood.
Well, if all the above describes your situation, then you are at the right place.
I have been a child and parent counsellor for many years and through the continuous research and experimenting on my own, I have derived at a proven method that works like magic and makes your child sleep soundly throughout the night.
Babies cry for many reasons:
- Need Warmth (hug)
- In pain (stomach bloating, fever etc)
- Anxiety or fear
- Sudden noise
and many more…
First you MUST rule out the factors that will lead to emergency:
- Fever and
These 3 factors if not identified and rectified, you will end up visiting the hospital. Let us look at each of the 3 factors and how to be prepared and resolve them.
A baby tends to drink milk (breast milk or formula) every 2 to 3 hours. As they grow older the pattern will be more predictable. Example, if the baby is on breast milk, then it will be around 7-8 times per day and if on formula, then you will have to give a bottle 3-4 times per day.
If fever and pain is not the issue, then the moment the milk is given, the baby should immediately suck the milk and stop crying. This is how you will know if the baby is crying due to hunger.
NOTE….DO NOT wait till the baby starts to cry for milk. Instead, try giving the milk every 2 to 3 hours.
That way, you can prevent the baby from crying in the first place. A milk storage system like the ones below definitely comes in handy!
If the baby is on Breast Milk than you will definitely need storage bags like these..
- SUPER STRONG- Store, protect, and freeze precious breastmilk with these breast milk storing bags
- PRESTERILIZED- Our milk storage bags have a double zipper seal to prevent leaks
- REINFORCED SEAM- Double sealed side seams for super strong breast milk collecting bags
- PUMP DIRECTLY- Breast milk storage bags can be pumped directly into with Lansinoh pumps or used with our adapter on most major pump brands
- MOST RECOMMENDED – Lansinoh is a leading seller of breastfeeding supplies in the US, as well as the top-selling breast milk bags
If you are giving Formula Milk, then in order to shorten the preparation time, it is best to store the milk powder in these type of containers.
- Size: 10″x7.2″
- Capacity: 4 layers design,you can take out the amount of milk powder in each layer of the box at one time,can carry 4 times of milk powder for outdoor babies
- Safety: High quality BPA-free PP material,safe dishwasher
- Versatile: In addition to formula,it can also be used to hold fruits,baby snacks,pacifiers and other accessories
- Portable: Ideal for travel or outings.The narrow footprint means it can be easily stored in the bag
If milk does not pacify the baby and the cry gets more intense, then there is a possibility that the baby could be in pain. And the common reason is gas in stomach. This can happen if the baby is on formula.
NOTE….Seek a pediatrician for help with the right type of Formula. Some Formula Milk tends to cause diarrhea. In this case, stop the Formula and change to another brand and see if the same situation happens.
Now gently rub the stomach in circle motion may be helpful, since massage can help calm the nerve signals in baby’s immature intestines. Pacifiers will also increase the gas in the stomach.
Though it pacifies the baby, but it is better to avoid it. Dental experts warn that once your child is preschool-aged, it can interfere with the development of healthy teeth.
Other types of pain include insect bites, infections, bumps due to a fall previously etc. Just check the body thoroughly to rule out these reasons.
If the crying is not due to hunger or pain, then check for fever. Fever is usually a sign that the immune system is fighting an illness or infection. Babies are more prone to illness as their immune is still being developed
The best way to get an accurate temperature reading for a child younger than 3 years is by using a digital rectal thermometer.
Ear thermometer, forehead thermometer and underarm readings are handy but aren’t nearly as accurate. Anything above 38ºC or 100.4ºF requires medical attention.
Note….do not cover the baby with too many clothing. Use a baby forehead ice pack to bring down the fever. Seek medical help immediately.
You may want to standby these ice packs to bring down the fever
- FEVER REDUCER: Cool pads help comfort your little one when a fever hits.
- INSTANT COOLING: Immediate cooling relief; no refrigeration required.
- COLD COMPRESS ALTERNATIVE: Peel off backing and stick gel patch anywhere, last up to 8 hours.
- COOL IT KID: Cool pad are adjustable and can be cut to any size to be applied to the forehead or other body parts. The skin-safe gel pad is non-toxic and safe to use with oral medication.
- STAY PUT: Kids are always on the go, so our cool pads allow kids to move around freely.
- HOT HEAD: Includes 5 individually packaged cold compresses.
Once you have ruled out the 3 factors, then most likely the baby just needs some help to get back to sleep.
There might be hundreds of methods to calm babies, but to date, Swaddling is a proven effective technique to help calm infants and promote sleep. Swaddling resembles the mother’s womb and help soothe your newborn baby.
There are many colorful Swaddles in the Market. Choose your favorite ones that goes well with your baby.
After applying the swaddle, gently tap the baby at the hip or buttocks area or gently rock the baby.
You will be surprised how effective this method will be to calm your baby and let him/her to sleep.
If after swaddling, the baby cries again, it could be that the swaddling is not done in a comfortable manner, or the baby just needs to be tapped for a while.
Parenting is no doubt a daunting task for every new parent. But if you equip yourself with the correct tools and techniques, you will enjoy every moment nursing the baby.
Do share your comments / tips with us…